Saturday, May 02, 2009

Better Days

I just finished reading a book about the Rwanda genocide. Titled Left to Tell, the book chronicles the author's life before, during, and after the event that claimed the lives of nearly 1 million Tutsis. More than simply an autobiographical account of the Rwandan Holocaust, Immacule Ilibagiza chronicles her journey to forgiveness, faith, and self-actualization. I asked myself many questions once I finished reading the last page: Could I have endured living (silently) in a cramped bathroom with seven other people for three months? Would I have had the fortitude to bury the remains of my slaughtered loved ones months after their demise? Could I have faced and forgiven their murderers? It is truly an amazing story.

Deplorable events can test the will of the most faithful. However, I have come to understand the importance of not becoming consumed by the evil deeds that can befall any of us. More importantly, anyone who wishes to enjoy the experience of living on planet Earth must be resilient and internalize the belief system that there will always be better days ahead.

"Better Days," by Dianne Reeves

6 comments:

af said...

i can't imagine what people living in war torn areas are going thru. my heart sincerely goes out to them and their plight.

Africa gets a really bum deal doesnt it? The media basically makes it seems like everyone is sick/diseased/famished/dying. and let me tell you, i have African friends from college/work and they are far from the image that is forced upon us by the media.

Can't wait to go to "la madre patria" and see it for myself....

Thanks for the book review, i'll try and find that one.

One of the good books i've read along these lines is "from sudanese refugee to international supermodel" by alek wek. it's such an amazing story.

have a good weekend

Unknown said...

I always tell myself that thought I go through pain sometimes it is NOTHING compared to what went on in Rwanda...when reading this story I saw how brave Immacule is and I can only wish that I could be half the woman she is...

Mama J said...

I had the privilege of hearing her speak in person...totally inspirational.

Dawn said...

It is amazing what they lived through. I will try to find the book. Thanks for sharing! Love you!

John the Scribe said...

Big Dawn: I love you, too!

Jamie: Thanks for the recommendation. I'll put it on my list.

Gayte-keeper: Her strength is indeed astonishing.

Mama J: You are so lucky! I'd love to see Immaculee.

Unknown said...

just saying hello...don't see you on yahoo anymore so...