Monday, June 01, 2009

NY Trip_Volume 1

People often say that going home is a difficult proposition for anyone who has been away from the fold for an extended period of time. Filled with a little bit of anxiety, I parked my car at an off-site park-and-ride place and rode the shuttle -with my mom and sister- to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Checking-in my baggage with the curbsite skycap ($15/bag!) who initially claimed that I was not listed on the flight, we nagivated through security and parted ways on the train, as they were flying out of a different concourse. I made it to the appropriate departure gate with a little under two hours to spare.

Despite the dreary weather, I anticipated what my vacation/family reunion would be like. Ignoring the background noise, I read a little of Marvelyn Brown's book (see homepage). Getting hungry at about 8:15 P.M. (the flight was scheduled to depart at 9:15), I ordered food from a restaurant that sold cheese steaks and chicken fingers. Settling into my seat, I ate and watched the Nuggets-Lakers game.

Before I knew it, it was 8:50. Walking back to the gate, I noticed that nearly everyone had already boarded the plane. Fearful of missing the flight, I handed the attendant my ticket and hauled ass to the plane, chastising myself for forgetting that boarding usually begins 30 minutes BEFORE takeoff. Finding a place to store my carry-on, I sat in an aisle seat and watched the safety video. Buckled in and instructed on how to respond in the event of an emergency, I read more of my book and watched an episode of Seinfeld (without sound, since I refused to pay $2 for a headset).

Arriving at LaGuardia Airport, I got my bag and was accosted by numerous cabbies who wanted to know if I needed a ride. Walking outside and taking in a breath of that good ole' NY air, I called my favorite cousin (Monique), who was already waiting on me. Throwing my bags in the trunk, we hopped on the Grand Central and headed to Long Island. Looking at the buildings that surround the area, I looked at her and said "I haven't seen projects in such a long time."

Before I knew it, we were in Hempstead. Depsite the darkness, I was very aware of my surroundings. Arriving at Monique's apartment, I tossed my bags in my little cousin Eric's room and helped her straighten up. We talked, cleaned, and listened to gospel music until about 2:00 A.M. After ensuring that my uncle had retrieved my sister and mother from JFK, I brushed my teeth, laid across Eric's bunk bed (bottom, of course) and went to sleep.


thegayte-keeper said...

Amazing how traveling takes so much out of person huh?

jamie (aka afro) said...

sleeping on a bunkbed? haha!

look forward to hearing about the rest of the trip!

Losojosnuevos said...

Jamie: That's one of the benefits of being small-framed.